Friday, October 27, 2017

Brave, Strong, Broken

 

Facebook: Embracing Oils with Anna

Instagram: @embracingoils


I have loved this quote since I saw it about a year ago... it resonates with me. We're all broken in some way or another, so this may also apply to you!

I've always had a big interest in Psychology and have been pretty "self aware", I guess you would say, most of my life. With that being said, I guess I naïvely thought that I was exempt from a lot of things.

Just because I act strong and can power through work, home, bills, business projects, etc... just because I function highly... does not mean I am not reeling from unsolved issues in my past. Is that true for you?

I have been evaluated a couple of times in the last month, and am now seeing a therapist. I'm glad I realized that something wasn't right. There seems to have been a 'dysthymic' depression lurking for many years, and a larger depressive episode (likely postpartum) has finally brought everything to the surface.

It's weird to think that most things in my life are going well, yet I'm not doing well on the inside. It's a dichotomy I can't seem to wrap my head around. I knew I had been depressed throughout my teens and early 20's because of a traumatic event, but I wrote it off later because I thought it was just me reacting to bad circumstances. I was uninformed. That is not what most depression is.

It is hard for me to write, but I'm seeing more and more statuses and articles floating around about high-functioning depression, HSP (highly sensitive people), and other topics that pertain to what goes on with me. This rising awareness of mental health issues is so very good for society, in an attempt to put stigma at bay... but sometimes it rubs your raw wounds, and hurts.

If you read this far, it's definitely okay to be brave, strong, and broken all at the same time. I urge you to get help if you need it... 


No comments:

Post a Comment